Translation




Select Your Language Below if English isn't Your Main Language

TRANSLATE / SELECT LANGUAGE

Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Cubicle to Cuba: Desk Job to Dream Job By Heidi Siefkas Author Interview





Cubicle to Cuba: Desk Job to Dream Job
By Heidi Siefkas
Genre: Travel

In Heidi Siefkas’ third book, she shares a humorous collection of stories about her transition from the corporate world and cubicle land to traveling to Cuba while creating her dream job, a hybrid career writing and traveling. Her adventures not only include over one hundred days in Cuba, but also hiking in Peru, bungee jumping in New Zealand, living in Hawaii, and more.
In her signature down-to-earth vignettes and sassy humor, Heidi relays her many tales of the characters she has met, yummy recipes, and also the inevitable travel hiccups along the way. With this book, Heidi puts her favorite quote to good use, “Every occasion in life can be categorized as either a good time or a good story.”



Interview with Heidi Siefkas Author of Cubicle to Cuba

  1. Tell me a little about yourself.

I’m originally from a small-town in Wisconsin with an insatiable wanderlust. I now hang my hat in South Florida, but you will rarely find me there. I spend most of the year on the road, mostly in Cuba. I have written three books. The first two are inspirational memoirs, When All Balls Drop and With New Eyes. My latest is also a non-fiction, but it is an introspective travelogue called Cubicle to Cuba: Desk Job to Dream Job.

  1. When did you know you wanted to be a writer?

I never excelled at writing as a young student. I gravitated towards the sciences. However, in learning my second language, Spanish in Madrid, Spain, I perfected my first. Since my early twenties, I have been writing, mostly in journals. After college, I worked in marketing and public relations, which required much writing in my late twenties, but it wasn’t until I had a life change at the age of thirty-two that I decided to write. Now forty, I have written and published three books in the last three years.

  1. What is your most interesting or craziest writing quirk?

I do my best work in small spaces at uncomfortable desks. Over the years, I’ve written on TV trays and the edge of my bed to doctors’ offices and on many a plane.

  1. What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your book(s)?

My books are non-fiction. The characters are real people and the situations real-life. In order to respect the privacy of those in the story, I have changed names, sequence of events, or other; however, the rest is a true story and an adventure to say the least. Although I expected some push back from those that were a part of my books, for the most part, people are honored to be a part of the book. Ok, some more than others, but all feel integral to the story. What I didn’t expect was the opposite! Yes, individuals that weren’t a part of the book felt left out. Was I not a good enough friend to be included? Didn’t we travel enough together to be in the book? As I know, but continue to tell myself; you can’t please everybody.

  1. Which writers inspire you?

I enjoy non-fiction and fiction authors alike because I feel most of fiction is really true stories retold with a bit more crime, sex, drugs, rock-n-roll, and of course vampires. I enjoy women writers such a Susan Jane Gellman and Lisa Genova. I owe a lot to them pacing the path for my stories and books.

  1. What genre are your books?

I write what I know best, real life stories, experiences, and takeaways. My books are non-fiction. My first two are inspirational memoirs; whereas, my latest is an introspective travelogue filled with adventure with a good dose of inspiration as well.
  1. Anything else you would like to say about writing? Encouraging words for potential writers?
This is going to be a rough road, but you will feel it is all worth it if you….Write for yourself before anyone else. Read everything that you can get your hands on. Write often.




About the Author
Heidi Siefkas is an author and adventurer. Originally from small-town Wisconsin, she calls many places home, including the Midwest and South Florida. Cubicle to Cuba is Heidi’s third book in a series starting with her debut memoir, When All Balls Drop and its sequel, With New Eyes. With an insatiable wanderlust, Heidi could be anywhere. However, you can connect with her virtually at www.heidisiefkas.com, Facebook, and Twitter, until your paths cross.






FGMAMTC 

Fangirl Moments and My Two Cents


No comments:

Post a Comment