Translation




Select Your Language Below if English isn't Your Main Language

TRANSLATE / SELECT LANGUAGE

Friday, February 13, 2015

Fifty Shades of Grey Movie Review





  1. About the Film

    When college senior Anastasia Steele (Dakota Johnson) steps in for her sick roommate to interview prominent businessman Christian Grey (Jamie Dornan) for their campus paper, little does she realize the path her life will take. Christian, as enigmatic as he is rich and powerful, finds himself strangely drawn to Ana, and she to him. Though sexually inexperienced, Ana plunges headlong into an affair -- and learns that Christian's true sexual proclivities push the boundaries of pain and pleasure.
  2. Release dateFebruary 13, 2015







Review

I have mixed feelings about this movie.  I was not expecting to be blown away by it so it probably falls about where I thought it would.  

I had problems with the flow of the film.  I believe they tried to fit so many scenes from the book that it is too rushed.  The movie jumps from sequence to sequence.  Sometimes I could almost swear it was on fast forward even.  When José tries to kiss Ana in the book, he looks like an ass, and Christian saves the day.  In the film, it's almost like he barely gets out that he likes her before Christian is rushing to push him away and she's puking.  I felt like hurry, hurry get all the bits in.  When he's playing the piano and she comes to him in a sheet at night, it seemed like go quickly jump on his lap.  There are also other parts that have that sped-up feel.  It probably would have enormously helped the flow if they would have rewritten some it.  I know then people would have complained and hated how it was changed from the book, but in the end, it would have made for a more interesting movie.

Another major problem that I had was the sex scenes.  I have multi-level issues with them.  First, most of them really weren't 'all that' in my opinion.  I was expecting a little more something from them.  Despite the nudity and subject matter, they weren't as sexy as I thought they would be.  Second, the BDSM scenes were pretty watered down.  I wanted to see heavier striking, especially in the final scene, the one that breaks the spell for her.  I think I got a paddling worse than that for throwing food in school one time.  And finally, what is up with the nude ratio?  This film is mostly for straight women.  Ana is naked for a huge portion of the film.  I saw her boobs so much, I swear I could pick them from a line up.  Her ass is pretty present as well, and even a few times her short and curlies share some of the limelight.  What happened to Christian?  We barely get a couple of ass shots.  I really would have loved to see less of her and more of him in the buff.

I also liked a lot of things about the movie.  The music department did a good job.  Whoever's task it was to decide camera angles and views did excellent.  When she first looks up at the building, I felt how overwhelming is was.  When they go out in the helicopter, it's so beautiful.  The soaring looks wonderful.  It's very awesome and romantic how these clips from the book were brought to life.

My favorite part from the film was not even in the book.  Ana is asleep and Christian sits beside her telling her about his mother.  What I love about Christian in the book is how he is really just a damaged, sweet person under the stone façade.  That clip really shows the character well.  I felt it in my heart.  The way that he talks to her while she's asleep and immediately after she wakes at this point in the film is perfect.  Cue the sighs.

One thing that was a pleasant surprise for me was how funny Ana is.  In the books, she's not the most interesting character.  The theater I attended was full of laughter during the film, and most of it was because of Ana.  I was glad they decided to go that route with the movie.




Did I love it?  No
Did I like it?  Yes
Would I watch it again?  I don't know.  Probably not.  Maybe when it's out on video.  I'm not sure.  I definitely won't watch it again at the theater.
Am I glad I watched it?  Yes
Will I watch the next movie?  Yes






3/5 stars 













No comments:

Post a Comment